Monday 1 November 2010

My Halloween History

The UK has never been that big on Halloween, and neither have I really. I wasn't allowed to go trick or treating as a kid, my dad said he didn't like the idea of children begging at strangers door's, and I don't blame him, the whole thing is a bit weird really isn't it? And my family usually spend October 31st with the lights turned off at the front of the house pretending we're not it, in Hoddesdon its safer that way, if you have no sweets your gardens more likely to be set on fire than just the odd egg to the window as a trick, eekk!

As I've got older I have however embraced the 'holiday' in various ways (any excuss to dress up!). So here's my Halloween History in pictures!

Your Halloween may have looked like this..

Our Halloween Haul 2006 (aged 16) - a little impromtue dressing up with whatever we had in my house and Trick or Treating round the estate!

Or it might have been a bit more like this...

House Party People 2007 (aged 17) - Fancy dress party at my house, standard. The bottom photo is the only surviving snapshot of me (in the middle), I was dresses as a witch type thing, in a 3-4yr old tesco costume as a top!

Or for quite a few of you it was probably like this...

Fright Club 2008 (aged 18) - I then move to uni and spend All Hallows Eve 08 clubbing in Manchester. I wore a children's 'bat costume' from asda, my boyfriend (bottom right) was a very drunk Russell Brand, haha!

But this year Voni, what did you do this halloween? Well much the same as the last really, I stayed home! And I wouldn't have it any other way! I wasn't invited to any parties, didn't know anyone going out in Manchester, and definatly am too old for trick or treating, we may have got away with it at 16, but not 20!!

So The Boyf and I are very happy to stay in tonight and celebrate in our own way, tonight consisted of...




A MASSIVE tub of sweeties (Tesco's Spooky Selection down from £10 to £5) and a choice of horror/halloween dvd's from our shelf- The Nightmare Before Christmas, Seven, Slither, Severance and Scooby Doo!

We actually only watched Severance tonight, its a really good film, so funny but quite scary too if you're a first time viewer (recommend!), cooked a yummy chicken curry and then spent the rest of the evening watching 'CSI Sunday' on Five USA, we're not ones for X-factor and all that crap, and what could be better than a bit of crime drama on Halloween!? And we didnt even get any trick or treaters, I suppose we do live in a 3rd floor flat, at least we didn't have to share our sweets with any badly dressed children!

What did you guys get up to this weekend? I look forward to seeing any fancy dress picture posts! But please tell me I'm not the only person who stayed home?

Loves VW x

PS. I'm finally just about over the flu and have ventured out of the house a few times, so an autumn OOTW will be coming up tomorrow!

PPS. My parents read this blog as one of the ways to keep up with my antics now they've moved to Oz, so I just wanted to give a little shout out to my daddy! Happy 50th Birthday Daddy - Have a great 'All Saints Day' in Tazzy! Love you lots xxxxxxx

No comments: